Friday, August 7, 2009

Farewell, John Hughes


He was the king of 80s popcorn movies. "Vacation," "The Breakfast Club," "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," and my personal favorite "Planes, Traines, & Automobiles."
Writer/Director John Hughes died Thursday in New York City.
He was the man behind a ton of other movies, including "Home Alone."
You can read a more complete profile by clicking here.
I can remember going with my Dad to see "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles." The movie theatre was packed, and the crowd roared with laughter at some of the ridiculous scenes with Steve Martin and John Candy at the top of their form.
One scene (I can't remember exactly which) had my Dad laughing so hard that he literally said outloud "I can't breathe!" I knew I had picked a winner.
That was Hughes' style of comedy--ensuring the audience had a good time. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment