Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend In Pop

So, last night I caught the AFI Salute to Michael Douglas on TV Land (still have about 30 mins. to go). It was touching, funny, and well put together in typical AFI fashion. I'm not sure whether or not it will replay, but you can catch highlights on the above link.
I also caught "Dick Tracy" on TCM. Released in 1990 with an all-star cast including Warren Beatty, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, and many many others, this is a real treat. I had seen it before, but it had been years.
Friday night, I finally caught "Away We Go," with John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph. Sam Mendes really made up for what I considered a disaster in "Revolutionary Road." "Away" was sweet and thought-provoking. Saturday night, I watched "Mamma Mia" with Meryl Streep for the first time at a friend's party. They screened it outdoors and had a cookout. It was really good! I love ABBA's music, and the performances were first-rate. I don't know why critics hated it so much.
Tonight, I'm looking forward to catching the miniseries "Torchwood: Children of Earth" on BBC America, and the TCM Moon Marathon featuring "The Right Stuff" and other moon-related flicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment