Friday, May 21, 2010

Saying Goodbye To "Lost"

This won't be easy. I know it won't. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend as we approach the series finale, that's right, I said series finale of ABC's award winning "Lost." By now, I'm sure you've heard the show will take its final breath Sunday night during a 2 and a half hour spectacular. I won't kid you--that's impressive.
I remember in early 2004, reading an article in USAToday or maybe it was CNN, about "Lost," and the general excitement surrounding this show that would premiere that fall. It just sounded cool. A plane crashes on an island in the middle of nowhere, leaving dozens of passengers stranded. Then strange things start to happen. And as viewers know, there have been many strange things happening on the unnamed island we've all come to know and love.
Listen, I could go on and on about how rich the characters are, how good the writing is, how well the music compliments each episode, how the Cinematographer, Set Designer, and Director work so well to disguise Hawaii as multiple locations around the world, but you sorta get the point. It's a very, very well done show.
And as I've told friends and fellow fans, I feel like we've all been partaking in a delicious feast these last 6 seasons, and now we're about to get that last really fine meal.
That's what makes it so satisfying, at least for me, and also why I think it won't be too bad when it ends. Because, in much the same way you enjoy reading a good book, the show has played out in the very same fashion. There's really so much to appreciate about "Lost," that I will miss a show of its caliber, but I'm certainly very grateful to have been able to watch it from the beginning. And to everyone out there, fasten your seat belts, Sunday's going to be a bumpy ride...
Of course, this whole thing has caused me to reflect on other series finales. I remember some that weren't received so well, like the endings to "Seinfeld," and "St. Elsewhere." I still liked the ending to "St. Elsewhere," even if it was obscure. One of the finest endings to a show in TV history, in my opinion, remains the finale to "M*A*S*H*". Still an outstanding program. I'm also reminded of the end of my favorite sitcom of all time, "Frasier," and how well it was able to bookend the pilot episode. Love that show!
So get ready to raise a glass and say goodbye to "Lost." We've all been on a wonderful journey together, and it's not over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment