Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Favorite "Trek" Films


With the release of the new "Star Trek" film on DVD (which I very much enjoyed in theatres this year), I wanted to take a trip down memory lane and give a shout out to some other movies in the "Trek" franchise that I found great escapist fare.
It should come as no surprise that "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" is my all time favorite of the "old school" "Trek" movies. Great storyline with Ricardo Montalban reprising his role from the TV series episode titled "Space Seed." This is a fine example of a cool concept blended with a fantastic score, and an excellent story that sets it up for what I thought was a disappointing sequel. Still, it's one of the best, and Kirk certainly has a worthy adversary in Khan.
See a clip from "Khan" and read more after the jump.



I also enjoyed the cheesy fun of "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home." The crew heads back in time to present day San Francisco on a mission to save earth from disaster. Spock does a fine job of "blending in" with his headband.
I didn't care too much for the rest of the movies that followed, nor was I a big fan of any of the "Next Generation" movies. In my opinion, the best work of "TNG" was on the small screen.

J.J. Abrams did a brilliant job breathing new life into the franchise. I agree with everything Grant had to say about the new "Star Trek." See it, see it again, or get it as a gift for someone this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment