Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Back To The Future" 25 Years Later...

I still can't believe it's been 25 years--25 years!!! since a movie called "Back to the Future" made its way into theaters across the country. Back then, I was a kid who had always loved movies, and had followed Michael J. Fox on one of my favorite '80s TV shows, NBC's "Family Ties."
Like most everyone else who saw it, I was simply blown away when I first watched this film. Everything about it just "clicked"--and it seemed to be flawless. All of the performances were spot on, and it was entertaining from beginning to end. The movie blended comedy with science fiction, a dash of drama, and yes, even a spark of romance--and folks, to be able to pull all of that off is very, very rare indeed. I was so taken with it that I saw "BTTF" 4 times at the movies that summer, and recommended it to everyone.
Great movie, great cast, great music--and today, you can see it for the first time on blu-ray. Although I liked the trilogy as a whole, the first one is still my favorite.
I was fortunate that on a trip to Los Angeles in the late '80s, I took the Universal backlot tour and the tram took us to the court square set. I got an up close and personal look at the courthouse, the gas station, and all of the shops along the square. They told us that the filmmakers were prepping to shoot the sequel, and it was quite a sight to see in person. I'm glad I got to see it before it was destroyed by fire. Since then, they've rebuilt the sets, but nothing can replace that memory. On another trip to L.A. a few years later, a couple of friends and I went to the movies, and Eric Stoltz, along with a couple of his pals, sat right behind us. Stoltz, of course, was first cast as Marty McFly before Fox. I hope you enjoyed the movie as much as I did, and if you haven't seen it in a while, now's a great time to go back to "Back to the Future."
Watch the cast reunion that happened this morning on the "Today" show below.

No comments:

Post a Comment